The Special Education Resource Unit is a corporate unit of the Department for Education, within the directorate of Inclusive Teaching and Learning.
We are a statewide service providing support to parents/carers and Department personnel to enhance the learning outcomes of children and students with disability and learning difficulty.
Core services provided by SERU include:
- specialised teaching and learning resource collection
- specialist advice and support ie. learning difficulty, inclusive technology
- Early Intervention Service Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- Conductive Education Service
- professional development,
and the provision of specialised equipment to enable students to access and participate in the curriculum including:
- access equipment
- assistive technologies
- classroom amplification/acoustic equipment.
Our staff offer a range of support and learning opportunities:
- advice and support about resources
- negotiated site/SERU based professional development
- presentations to network/support groups
- technology focussed family consultations
- specialised technology based workshops (Boardmaker, Clicker etc)
- specialised consultations about evidence based intervention
- provision of specialised materials to Department psychologists and speech pathologists.